The basic assessment of
nutrition begins with the Scored Patient-Generated Subjective Global
is a systematic way of gathering important history and physical exam
- Standardized and scored history and
- Obviously the patient has to be
able to help.
- Otherwise a relative or caregiver
familiar with the person.
- Actually, it's not a bad idea to validate
all historical information for all patients with someone who knows the
person, especially if the person is
elderly and subject to memory deficits.
- To the right is an image of the
standard PG-SGA form. Click on it for an enlarged and printable
Print yourself a copy of the form so you have
something to work along with, as we're going to go through it in some
We will start with
history part of the form, boxes 1 through