Nutrition and Diagnosis-Related
Dietary, nutritional and lifestyle
- Adequate nutrition, but control excessive calories;
especially fat intake.
- Limit fats to 20% of caloric
intake and decrease saturated fats to 7%.
- At least 5-9 fruits and vegetables
and 6 grain foods daily.
- Restrict or eliminate alcoholic
- Vitamin and mineral supplementation,
- B12, folic acid, thiamin,
riboflavin, iron and zinc.
- With women who have ER positive
tumors, exogenous estrogenic substances should be eliminated.
Tomaxifen is trying to block the ER receptor, and there's no
reason to provide agents that compete for the receptor.
- Her question is
- Medications containing estrogens,
such as oral contraceptives and estrogen replacement for
osteoporosis may need to be curtailed.
- Maintain good hydration,
particularly while on Cytoxin.
- Cytoxin is especially toxic to
the bladder mucosa;keeping the urine dilute.
- Herbal and botanical supplements
should not be used. Echinacea especially, in combination with
methotrexate, can cause serious liver damage.
- Encourage exercise, swimming and
brisk walking are particularly helpful.
- She should continue doing routine
breast self exams.
- Family counseling. Mrs. O'Dea has 2
sisters and a daughter.
- Be prepared to address psychiatric
issues early. Depression is not uncommon.
- Numerous support groups exist
and participation has a major positive effect.
Mother to be is our